1. The show cast real porn stars to fill up Littlefinger’s brothel.
2. Despite the fact that George R.R. Martin, the author of the booksGame of Thrones is based on, is a notoriously slow author, he says he’s already planned how the series will end. No word yet on whether winter will finally come.
3. Linguist David J. Peterson created over 4,000 words and a working grammar for the Dothraki language. He also created Valyrian.
4. The character Dwight Shrute on TV’s The Office makes several references to Game of Thrones. One of his references to the Dothraki language actually influenced the structure of the language. Dothraki now has a “Shrutean construction.”
5. Almost half of the show’s viewers are women.
6. The show got in trouble when one of the props they used looked exactly like George W. Bush. The prop: a severed head. Turns out the FX department sculpted it that way on purpose.
7. After crowd favorite Peter Dinklage won an Emmy, the show gave him top billing.
The gif that keeps on giffing.
8. There are both pornographic versions of Game of Thrones and a burlesque show. Called “Live, Dirty and Dangerous” the naughty show has sold out venues.
9. Actor Jack Gleeson did such a good job getting everyone to hate him as Joffrey Baratheon that he routinely gets harassed in real life so much that he is retiring from acting. George R. R. Martin even sent the young actor a letter saying, “Congratulations on your marvelous performance! Everybody hates you now.”
Seeing Joffrey get slapped never gets old.
10. The opening credits change which locations they show depending on what’s happening in the episode. Only King’s Landing, Winterfell, and the Wall appear in every episode.
11. Jerome Flynn, who portrays fan favorite Bronn, used to be in a pop band.
12. And Natalia Tena, who plays Wildling Osha, is in the band Molotov Jukebox.
13. And Wilko Johnson AKA Sir Ilyn Payne was in Dr. Feelgood. The 67-year-old actor was also, sadly, diagnosed with terminal cancer last year.
14. Last musical connection. Theon Greyjoy AKA actor Alfie Allen, is the brother of singer Lily Allen. She even wrote a unflattering song about him.
15. Game of Thrones is the most pirated show in history.
16. It isn’t a coincidence that Oona Chaplin, who plays Robb Stark’s bride, shares a last name with Charlie Chaplin. It’s her grandfather.
17. While there hasn’t been a boom in real-life girls being called Daeneyrs, the same can’t be said for Khaleesi. In 2012, over 150 births were registered with that name. No figures for how many children are being named “Mother of Dragons.” Also her full name is probably too long: Daenerys Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons. Probably.
18. Although the show’s iron throne has been praised for its looks, George R. R. Martin says it doesn’t capture what he had in mind writing the books. This is what he thinks the throne looks like:
19. Speaking of the iron throne, it actually contains Gandalf’s sword from Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy.
20. The show’s creators, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff had a meeting with George R. R. Martin to try to convince him to let them develop a TV show based on his books. Although Martin was impressed by their vision, at the end of the meeting he tested them with one final question: “Who is Jon Snow’s real mother?” And they got the answer right.